So what’s the secret?
Well it wasn’t really a secret but we didn’t want to put it in the blog until we told our children … WE ARE HEADING SOUTH 😀
Over a month ago hubby looked into shipping our truck and Maxx across the border with a commercial driver and then we would fly across and join them. I wasn’t overly keen on the idea, I don’t know why I was just nervous I guess, and then a few days ago we got an email from our neighbors in Yuma, who also live quite close to us here, saying they were going to ship their motorhome and car down to the states and fly down. Once I heard that I thought what the heck let’s do it!
It will mean leaving these amazing sunrises but that’s okay, we will be back next year.
And flying down takes care of the problem with mixed vaccines, because if you fly down all you need is a negative COVID test.
Now prior to this hubby was speaking with a company in Abbotsford, British Columbia who said yes they had room but they only needed two weeks notice so we could wait until September 21st and see if the land border opened.
And leaving the pretty trail views.
So September 21 came and once again the US refused to open its land border to Canadians, so he phoned the company back … they acted like they had never talked to him and can’t ship our unit until mid to late November. So hubby started phoning all the other companies on the coast who offer snowbird service, only to hear one is fully booked, one isn’t really interested in our rig because it’s too long, and another never got back to us.
We weren’t sure what we were going to do for the winter. We had fortunately put our names on a list for an RV park close to our daughter’s place, and we figured we’d probably end up spending the winter there, but really our hope was that eventually the border would open and we could pick a good day, where the weather looked good, and head down south.
Of course, we could still be faced with the problem of having mixed vaccines, a Pfizer and Moderna, but once again we were hoping that if they did open the border to Canadians they would also allow mixed vaccines.
But then I got a lead on a place out of Lethbridge, Alberta and after hubby contacted them on Monday we were once again back in the running. Monday night we completed the mountain of paper work required to do this, which really didn’t take that long because we had already completed all the paper work for the first company that said they could transport us. We sent it off to the Lethbridge company with the hope that they would still be able to get us across the first week of November. They let us know Tuesday morning that they had received the paperwork and would confirm our date in 48 hours. Yes things were looking good!
And then things changed again! Late Tuesday afternoon hubby received an email from a company in Abbotsford, the one he had left a message for and had never got back to us, apologizing for the long delay and asking if we were still interested. Hubby emailed right back and said yes, we were, and he got a response right back saying they still had a few dates the last week of October and the first week of November. Great, now could we get a flight? So hubby got right on the phone to San Juan Air, the charter company that flies from Abbotsford, British Columbia to Bellingham, Washington … and guess what … they actually had some spaces available and one of those dates was October 27th, which is perfect for us. He immediately emailed the transport company and they immediately responded saying that time was available.
Of course, the US could finally open their borders to Canadians on October 21st, although we are not holding our breath, but if they do then we could still cancel our flights and the commercial driver and drive down ourselves. We would lose $127.50 of our airfare and the transport deposit of $200.00 but hey that’s OK at least we’re heading south.
So the park closes on October 18, we will hang around here for a few days finishing up last minute things and then on October 21st, if the weather cooperates, we will hitch up Maxx and head to hubby’s sisters place in Abbotsford and visit with his mom and the rest of his family. We will spend the weekend with our son and daughter-in-law and then on Monday October 27th, if the US keeps its land border closed, we will ship Max across the border, hop on a very small plane, yup that is the scariest part, and fly from Abbotsford, British Columbia to Bellingham, Washington, a twenty-minute flight … taxi down the runway take off, get up in the air, quickly go back down to the runway, and then taxi to the Bellingham terminal, where we will rejoin Maxx and head south for the winter.
Now that the decision is made, I am incredibly relieved and so very excited to be back to the snowbird life we love so much.
Oh and in case you are wondering, shipping the truck, Maxx, flying us across the border, and COVID tests is costing just shy of $2,200 which is less than it would have cost us to stay at an RV park in Kelowna for five months. Not to mention the extra cost for propane and electricity because we’d have to heat the trailer during the cold winter.
So goodbye beautiful sunrises, we will see you next year.
Until next time …