We had two long driving days, well long for us, 6 hours each. Our original plan was to spend a night at a casino in Susanville, CA, and we stuck to that, but then we were going to spend the next two nights in Carson City, NV.
We did contemplate skipping Susanville and going right into Carson City but Susanville was free camping and Carson City wasn’t. Added to that Highway 139 from the California border into Susanville was mostly rough road which was shaking us, and Maxx, all over the place so by the time we hit Susanville we had had enough driving for one day.
The casino turned out to be a good choice because, along with being free, we were told by security, when we checked in, to park at the back of lot near the road and close to a pole so that we could plug in (15 amp). Now plugging in isn’t a big deal to us but we will take advantage when we can and to top it off the Wi-Fi was strong and fast even at the back of the lot. The only downfall we could see was that the lot is far from level so we did have to use blocks under the wheels on one side … but we can handle that 🙂
So Susanville was a great stop but Carson City was not to be 😦
I have been watching the weather since we left home last Monday and it seemed that Sunday would be a particularly cold day everywhere. As we have travelled down we kept watching the weather and planning our stops, which would have put us in Carson City, NV on Saturday and Sunday. The weather on Saturday was forecasted to be a high of 25C (77F) and an overnight low of 1C (34F) and on Sunday it was to drop to a high of 8C (46F) and an overnight low of -9C (16F).
Since Sunday was going to be cold we thought we would just hang out in Carson City and enjoy some time in the hot tub, but then a few kinks were added to that plan.
The first one was a red flag warning for Susanville through Carson City. That means heavy winds and they were to start at 11:00 a.m. Saturday and go until 11:00 a.m. Monday. I have no idea how they predict the exact time but it didn’t matter, we didn’t want to be around for the wind.
So the second kink? After Carson City we hit our highest pass (8100 feet) of the trip near Mono Lakes and the forecast for that area on Sunday was showing a high of 1C (34F) and a low of -13C (9F) and an increasing chance of precipitation … and we all know what kind of precipitation those temperatures bring … SNOW 😯
So in the end we decided to skip Carson City and go over the pass on Saturday when the temperatures on the pass where forecasted to be 24C (75F), and that is exactly what we got for most of our day. This entire trip has been fantastic warm sunny weather, we could not have asked for better travel conditions and with the sun coming in the window we had the air conditioner on for most of the trip.
Today we will venture further south toward even warmer weather.
Until next time …