A beautiful sight we had tonight … okay I’ll stop because everyone at home is cursing me right now for all the snow Kelowna has received 🙂
Yesterday we bid adios to the very cold temperatures in Edmonton, -35C, -31F not including the wind chill factor, and flew to Kelowna, British Columbia for Christmas number 2 with our daughter and her family.
When I booked our flight to Edmonton, Alberta early last spring I was able to get a direct flight from Phoenix both ways but I noticed a return flight that had a six-hour lay over in Kelowna and it was cheaper than the direct flight. Hmm I thought, this would work out very well, we could spend Christmas with our sons and their families and then have a quick visit with our daughter and family and my sister and family before we continue onto Phoenix. About three months later WestJet advised they were shortening the layover in Kelowna, which wouldn’t allow us enough time for a visit. Hubby got on the phone and managed to convince WestJet that they should let us fly into Kelowna the night before and then connect onto Phoenix the next day for no extra charge. We were so happy with how well everything worked out and excited to get to see all our children, their spouses, and our grandchildren for Christmas.
Last night we arrived in Kelowna under heavy snow but much warmer temperatures than Edmonton, it was only -5C, 23F … it felt like summer. 😀 We spent a very enjoyable evening opening presents and playing board games.
Now I had made the comment to a few people that I wouldn’t be too upset if our flight back to Phoenix was delayed by a day and given all the snow coming down last night I thought that could happen. Well we woke up this morning to a beautiful blue sky and no snow falling, but I had received an email around 3:00 a.m. saying that our 10:25 a.m. flight was delayed to 2:45 p.m. … that was great news, more time to visit.
Shortly after noon we headed to the airport, cleared security, and got a table in a restaurant for lunch. Just after we ordered I received another email saying our flight was delayed until 3:15 p.m., that’s okay we thought, we would enjoy a drink with lunch and kill some time. As we were finishing up our lunch another email arrived saying the flight was delayed until 4:15 p.m. and we could hear announcements that all flights arriving and departing to Calgary, Alberta had been cancelled due to bad weather in Calgary. We both looked at each other and somehow knew that the delays with our flight had to be tied into the weather in Calgary … sure enough a few minutes later our flight was also cancelled. 😥
I’m sure you can all picture the chaos at the airport with that many flights cancelled! Anyway after a long wait and another hour waiting on the phone we are finally rebooked on a flight to Phoenix … but not until next Tuesday. All of the flights out of Kelowna to anywhere are fully booked, so we had to wait until Tuesday to get a flight to Vancouver and then onto Phoenix.
When I called my sister she said I really needed to leave because they are very tired of all this snow I asked for. She said they would love to come and visit but they are still digging out their driveway so they can get the car out. 🙂
Gee I ask for snow and I get it, I ask for our plane to be delayed and it happens, I ask for a winning lottery ticket and nothing!
Anyway there is no point in being upset, the airlines can’t help the weather, and this is the busiest time of the year for them, so hubby and I will just enjoy some extra visiting here in Kelowna and look forward to getting back to the warm sunny weather in Yuma.
Until next time …